
The air in Grayhaven doesn't just sit; it presses against you, heavy with the scent of oxidized iron and damp concrete. I stood at the threshold of Sector 4, the rusted perimeter fence groaning in the wind like a dying beast. My pack felt balanced, my boots were cinched tight, and my heart rate was a steady, practiced rhythm. Above all else, a Runner needs to be a ghost. If you’re seen, you’re already failing.
The Drop
Viktor Hale hadn't lied about the difficulty, though he’d certainly undersold the atmosphere. The contract was simple on paper: retrieve a sealed data drive from a defunct research substation near the old manufacturing hub. In practice, it meant crossing three blocks of structural instability and navigating the blind spots of the local scavengers. I checked my wrist-mounted terminal. The extraction window was tight—forty-five minutes before the patrol drones, or what was left of them, began their automated sweeps.
I moved low, keeping to the shadows of the collapsed transit tubes. My mentor, Elias Ward, had drilled the mantra into my skull until it was part of my own nervous system: "Don't look for the path of least resistance. Look for the path that keeps your lungs full." I bypassed the main thoroughfare, choosing instead to climb the service ladder of an adjacent tenement. The metal was brittle, biting into my palms, but it gave me the high ground I needed to scan the approach.
Calculated Risk
Through my optics, I saw them. Three figures moving in a loose formation near the substation entrance. They weren't professional Runners; they were desperate, scavenging for scrap metal, but desperation makes people dangerous. I could wait them out, but that would cut into my extraction window. I could engage, but a gunshot would be a dinner bell for every opportunist in the sector.
I chose the third option: misdirection. I pulled a small, weighted canister from my rig—a simple noise-maker designed for exactly this situation. I tossed it toward the far end of the alleyway. When it hit, it emitted a sharp, metallic clatter followed by the hiss of a pressurized steam leak. The scavengers flinched, their attention snapping toward the sound. In those five seconds of confusion, I dropped from the fire escape and slipped into the substation’s service hatch.
The Discovery
The interior was a tomb of silence. Dust motes danced in the beam of my flashlight as I navigated the rows of server racks. It was here that I found the drive, tucked into a secure terminal that should have been wiped years ago. As I slotted the drive into my reader, the screen flickered to life. It wasn't just research data. It was a list of personnel files, and at the very top, a digital photograph of someone who looked exactly like me, though the timestamp predated my arrival in Grayhaven by a decade.
My breath hitched. My hands, usually steady as stone, hovered over the keys. Before I could download the metadata, a sharp, rhythmic ping echoed through my earpiece. It was Mira Solen, her voice crackling over the encrypted channel.
“Dante, move. Now. Something just tripped the perimeter sensors. It’s not the drones, and it’s not the scavengers. Get out of there.”
The Cost of Curiosity
I didn't argue. I yanked the drive and turned to retreat, but the heavy blast door at the end of the hall was already sliding shut. Someone—or something—was locking the facility from the outside. I slammed my shoulder into the gap, feeling the crushing weight of the steel against my gear. I managed to wedge my crowbar into the track, the metal screaming in protest, giving me just enough room to squeeze through.
I stumbled out into the cold gray light of the street, lungs burning, the drive pressed tightly against my chest. I didn't look back, even as I heard the heavy thud of footsteps following me into the dark. I had the intel, but I had also left a trail. As I broke into a run toward the extraction point, the realization settled in like lead: I wasn't just a Runner anymore. I was a target.
Grayhaven doesn't let you leave with secrets. It buries you with them. And I had only just started digging.
Next Episode: The Ghost in the Signal
